“The Court should also take a Judicial Notice that Twitter Inc Service had already approached the Defendant with an apology and a promise to be law-abiding to all the countries rules, regulations and policies,” he said in a 17-page defence document seen by The Gazette.
The court adjourned the hearing until January 2022 for a ruling.
Although the regime had said it was making progress in the dialogue with Twitter, it is yet to suspend the ban despite repeatedly assuring Nigerians that it would be lifted in “a few days”.
“And as to the qualifying word for when or how soon, I want to assure you that the time that Twitter operation was suspended, I mean between the time it was suspended and when it will be restored, is by far much, much shorter,” the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed had said.
The minister had also said that the tech giant agreed to abide by its rules, one of which was to open offices in Nigeria, but this was debunked by a Twitter spokesperson.
A spokesperson for Twitter told The Gazette on Friday that the social media giant would continue to work with the Buhari regime to resolve the restriction, declining to confirm or deny whether or not an apology was issued as Mr Malami stated in the affidavit before ECOWAS Court.